In April, we took my dog to the vet because she was suddenly very lethargic, not eating, not even moving. Turned out she had a golf-ball size tumor on her spleen that had begun bleeding, and she was bleeding internally.
At the time, we didn’t know if the tumor was malignant or benign. We decided to proceed with surgery. They removed her spleen, they found no other tumors, and they told us, depending on the biopsy, the spleen removal may have been the cure. About a week later, the results came back-malignant. She has hemangiosarcoma. Do not google it. It’s awful! We were told she would be with us for about a year, at most.
Hemangiosarcoma is a very aggressive cancer, and it will eventually affect other organs on her body.
We decided since we knew we had limited time with her, we were living it up! We had pictures taken as a family with both dogs, she began giving her canned food everyday to treat her, spent loads more time with her and our other dog etc.
We expected to have 6-12 months.
I was shocked to come home last night-not even 3 months since her surgery-and find the same symptoms all over again. The vet had told us, when the symptoms come back, it means she’s bleeding internally again, and at the point, the recommendation is to put her down. In the midst of “preparing” myself for her final journey, and spending so much time with her, I had so much damn fun, I forgot to actually prepare. Not that I’m sure I ever could really prepare to say good bye to her.
At 1am we went to the emergency vet clinic. To be safe and make sure we’re not dealing with just a stomach bug, we had them check her blood. She is definitely losing blood, but not significant for how she’s acting. We left her overnight for monitoring, and they are repeating her blood work again around noon, to see if she’s lost more blood.
We decided not to operate again. We don’t think it’s fair to her to keep going through this. She’s been a great friend, an amazing companion, a protector, and the cutest furry baby I’ve ever had! If we find out she’s losing even more blood, we’ll say goodbye to her today.
Here’s some pics from our photo session.
edited to add-
We brought her home. The Dr says she is stable, not in any critical condition as of right now. They know she started bleeding internally, but can’t see where exactly it’s coming from. Her blood count today was a little better than last night, so he thinks it started bleeding, but began resolving on it’s own. So we know it’s going to happen again.
We have her home, keeping her comfortable, and she is just very tired and weak. She is sleeping right now. He said she may have good and bad days, but she isn’t in pain.
For now we are keeping her comfortable and seeing how things go.
We’re preparing for the inevitable. This is so so hard.
Read Full Post »